Foothills Trail to Wonderland Lake, Four Mile Creek Trailhead, Boulder - Denver - Golden - Fort Collins - Lyons, Colorado
Foothills Trail to Wonderland Lake - 3.0 Miles
Four Mile Creek Trailhead
Foothills Trail to Wonderland Lake
|Round-Trip Length:||3.0 Miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||5,625' - 5,553' (at Wonderland Lake)|
|Elevation Change:||-72' net elevation loss (+154' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Wonderland Lake is a wildlife sanctuary encompassing open water, streams, wetlands, short-grass prairie, foothill-woodlands and shrub. These overlapping ecosystems provide essential habitat for waterfowl, prairie dogs, mule deer, fox, coyote, rattlesnakes and raptors.
The south portion of the Foothills Trail (.9 miles) joins the Wonderland Lake Trail (1.2 miles) to form a lollipop loop through this biologically rich area. Wide groomed paths and mild grades welcome runners, hikers, cyclists and equestrians. Connections with the Old Kiln Trail, Foothills Community Park Loop and Foothills Trail-north offer extended travel options of varying length and difficulty.
The Foothills Trail heads southwest, rising gently past connections for the Old Kiln Trail (.25 - .3 miles) with unabated views of the Green-Bear-South Boulder Peak complex. The wide gravel path rolls through to the top of a steep switchback (.8 miles : 5,650') and drops to the Wonderland Lake Loop (.9 miles : 5,582').
A gravel path turns left and narrows through a residential area to a side street (1.1 miles). Follow signs east 200' on the street to resume the loop.
The trail bends south past access for the Wonderland Lake Trailhead (1.23 miles : 5,553') and continues over Wonderland Lake's east dam. The loop curls west (1.35 miles) on winding pavement between a residential area, playground and the lake. You'll rejoin a graded dirt path on the lake's southwest corner (1.8 miles : 5,585') and turn sharply north to complete the loop (2.1 miles). Climb back up the steep switchback and retrace your steps on the Foothills Trail to the Four Mile Creek Trailhead (3.0 miles).
GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84View these GPS points on a Google Map
- N40 03.750 W105 17.338 — 0.0 miles: Four Mile Creek Trailhead
- N40 03.546 W105 17.488 — .3 miles : Old Kiln Trail junction #2
- N40 03.106 W105 17.512 — .9 miles : Begin Wonderland Lake Loop Trail
- N40 03.080 W105 17.204 — 1.2 miles : Wonderland Lake Trailhead access spur
- N40 02.878 W105 17.520 — 1.8 miles : Southwest corner of Wonderland Lake
- N40 03.750 W105 17.338 — 3.0 miles : Four Mile Creek Trailhead
- Extend your trip by dropping down to the paved loop around Foothills Community Park (.8 miles), or up a steep course through the foothills on the Old Kiln Trail (1.4 miles). You may also continue north on the Foothills Trail to the Hogback Ridge Trail (.6 miles) or its northern terminus off of Highway 36 (1.1 miles).
- The Wonderland Lake Trail is 1.6 miles roundtrip from the Wonderland Lake Trailhead.
- There are no facilities at the Four Mile Creek or Wonderland Lake trailheads. Foothills Community Park Trail features restrooms, playgrounds, a hockey rink and acres of multi-use fields.
- Fishing is permitted with a valid Colorado fishing license along the east dam and peninsula only.
Rules and Regulations
- Dogs are permitted but must be leashed at all times. Dogs may be off leash within designated dog parks of Foothills Community Park.
- Bikes are permitted on the Foothills and Wonderland Lake trails. Bikes are not permitted on the Old Kiln Trail or Hogback Ridge Trail.
- Swimming, wading and boating are not permitted at Wonderland Lake.
The Four Mile Creek Trailhead is located on the south side of Lee Hill Drive, .2 miles west of Broadway.
You may also access Wonderland Lake and the Foothills Trail from the Wonderland Lake Trailhead, located on the west side of Broadway, across the street from Sumac Ave.
City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks