Eagle - Sage Lollipop Loop, Boulder Reservoir, Boulder - Denver - Golden - Fort Collins - Lyons, Colorado
Eagle - Sage Lollipop Loop - 3.75 Miles
|Round-Trip Length:||3.75 Miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||5,260' - 5,260' (5,383' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+123' net elevation gain (+205' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
The Eagle Trail and Sage Trail form a lollipop loop through semi-arid short grass prairie between the Boulder Reservoir and Boulder foothills.
These versatile 4-season trails are open to hikers, cyclists and equestrians. Connections with the Boulder Reservoir Loop, North Rim, Left Hand and Cobalt trails enable longer routes through this bucolic landscape.
You can access the Eagle-Sage Loop from the Eagle Trailhead on 51st street, or the Boulder Valley Ranch Trailhead on Longhorn Road. The following description begins at the Eagle Trailhead and travels counterclockwise:
The Eagle Trail heads west on level track to the Sage Trail split (.5 miles : 5,295'). The Sage Trail bends northwest through open space, a good place to see prairie dogs, rabbit, coyote and raptors.
You'll pass a sparingly marked split atop the first of several rolling hills for the North Rim Trail (1.0 miles : 5,320'), which leads north to Neva Road.
The Sage Trail continues past a private ranch, through a cattle gate (1.35 miles : 5,330') and southwest to the Boulder Valley Ranch Trailhead (1.65 miles : 5,370').
Here you'll find connections with the Cobalt and Left Hand trails, the former leading west to a web of short trails between Boulder Valley Ranch and Highway 36, the latter due north to Left Hand Reservoir and Neva Road.
The Sage Trail continues south over low rolling hills lined by cottonwood at the base of a steep mesa. Look for owls in these sprawling treetops.
The Sage rejoins the Eagle Trail at 2.35 miles (5,371'), were it begins a long winding descent with terrific views over the Boulder Reservoir vicinity.
The trail levels by a small pond (3.1 miles : 5,230') and climbs steeply back to the Sage Trail to complete the loop (3.25 miles : 5,295'). Retrace your steps back to the Eagle Trailhead parking lot (3.75 miles).
GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84View these GPS points on a Google Map
- N40 04.813 W105 14.162 — 0.0 miles : Eagle Trailhead
- N40 04.860 W105 14.694 — .5 miles : Eagle Trail - Sage Trail split #1
- N40 04.799 W105 15.762 — 1.65 miles : Boulder Valley Ranch Trailhead
- N40 04.387 W105 15.246 — 2.35 miles : Eagle Trail - Sage Trail split #2
- N40 04.860 W105 14.694 — 3.25 miles : Eagle Trail - Sage Trail split #1
- N40 04.813 W105 14.162 — 3.75 miles : Eagle Trailhead
- This is a popular multi-use trail. Be mindful of others and honor yield protocols, particularly for equestrians.
- Rattlesnakes are common in the Eagle-Sage Trail vicinity. Remain on established trails. Keep pets under control and away from prairie dog towns where rattlesnakes tend to hunt.
- The Eagle-Sage Loop passes through a working ranch, and free range cattle roam the vicinity at various times of year. Allow cattle plenty of space as you pass.
- The Eagle-Sage Trails' wide track and mild grades are well-suited for cross-country skiing.
Rules and Regulations
- Dogs must be on a held leash unless they meet Voice and Sight Control Standards and display a City of Boulder Voice and Sight Tag.
The Eagle Trailhead is located on 51st street in Boulder, Colorado.
The Eagle Trailhead is located 2.25 miles north of Jay Road. The turnoff for 51st street from Jay Road is located 1.3 miles east of Highway 36, or .1 miles west from the Diagonal Highway exit.
The Eagle Trail is also accessible from the Boulder Valley Ranch Trailhead, located 1 mile east of Highway 36 on Longhorn Road. The turnoff for Longhorn Road is located 1 mile north of the Broadway-Highway 36 intersection, and is marked by a sign for Boulder Valley Ranch. Restrooms are available at the parking lot.
Boulder Parks and Recreation
Boulder, CO 80302
General Information and Front Gate: 303.441.3461
Boat House and Boat Rentals: 303.441.3468
Sports and Events information: 303.441.3410