Tower Arch, Tower Arch Trailhead, Arches National Park, Utah
Tower Arch - 2.8 Miles
Tower Arch Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||2.8 Miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||5,055' - 5,105' (5,241' max elevation :: 4,960' lowest elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+50' net elevation gain (+677' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Tower Arch is located in the remote Klondike Bluffs of Arches National Park. The arch is carved from a large fin distinguished by a knobby spire on its north end.
This lightly used trail is highlighted by varied terrain with a notably deep red color throughout. Visitors will enjoy exploring adjacent, fins, slots, and open slickrock from the arch:
The trail climbs steeply to a mesa top with commanding panoramas over Salt Valley and the Klondike Bluffs (.27 miles : 5,241'), then drops quickly into a valley flanked by deep-crimson walls.
It trends downhill before making a sharp turn north (.9 miles : 4,960') across the open desert floor and two consecutive wash beds.
The trail exits the valley through a steep, narrow corridor lined by spires and a distinct pink sand, both byproducts of Entrada Sandstone erosion.
Sand gives way to slickrock as you near the spur for Tower Arch (1.35 miles : 5,080'), whose open base is accessible by a short scramble (5,105'). The main trail continues .3 miles to its terminus at a seldom-used 4WD parking lot.
GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84View these GPS points on a Google Map
- N38 47.540 W109 40.519 — Tower Arch Trailhead
- N38 47.368 W109 40.481 — First tier of bluff
- N38 47.339 W109 40.489 — Crest bluff - begin down valley travel
- N38 47.163 W109 41.022 — Cross wash #1
- N38 47.157 W109 41.046 — Cross wash #2
- N38 47.305 W109 41.246 — Tower Arch Spur - Trail continues right to 4WD lot
- N38 47.347 W109 41.248 — Tower Arch
- This is a lightly used trail, ideal for those seeking relief from crowds at other Park destinations.
- This is an exposed trail. Come prepared with adequate water and sun protection. Do not underestimate travel time. Avoid wandering off trail, as the landscape is otherwise indistinguishable.
Travel 16.65 miles north of the main park entrance station and visitor center to the Salt Valley Road turnoff on the left (west). The road is now a navigable dirt road suitable for most cars in good condition. Take Salt Valley Road approximately 7 miles to Klondike Bluffs Road on the left. This 1.5 mile spur dead-ends at the Tower Arch Trailhead. Be sure not to take the Tower Arch Road turnoff, located just south of Klondike Bluffs Road. This is a rugged 4WD road leading to Tower Arch's western terminus.
Arches National Park
PO Box 907
Moab, Utah 84532-0907
Headquarters Phone: 435-719-2100
Phone: 435.719.2299 (recorded information)
Camping Reservation Line: 877.444.6777