Broken Arch and Tapestry Arch Loop, Broken Arch Trailhead, Arches National Park, Utah
Broken Arch and Tapestry Arch Loop - 1.6 Miles
Broken Arch Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||1.6 Miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||5,151' - 5,151' (5,243' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+92' net elevation gain (+239' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
The Broken Arch-Tapestry Arch Loop Trail is a mild trek through varied terrain, highlighted by colorful rock gardens, slickrock benches and clear views of the La Sal Mountains. This family-friendly hike begins at the Broken Arch Trailhead within the Devils Garden Campground near site #39, and returns near campsite #51 (a short piece of road connects the two points and completes the loop). The following description travels clockwise from the Broken Arch Trailhead:
The trail follows a sandy path through open space to the first of two marked spurs leading to the base of Tapestry Arch (.15 miles - the second spur is located just a few hundred feet ahead). The first spur is more rugged and circuitous (.2 miles), but approaches the arch on a slickrock bench that provides an attractive photographic foreground. The second spur follows a rather direct path through pinyon-juniper stands to the arch. Tapestry Arch (5,145') is favorably lit in the afternoon, and visible from other points along the trail.
Once back on the main trail, continue easily past 3 bleached Navajo Sandstone domes (.7 miles : 5,140'), a classic example of this ubiquitous rock-type. The trail runs atop open slickrock to the base of Broken Arch (.95 miles : 5,113'), passing right under with sweeping views across a sage-blackbrush prairie. Broken Arch is named for the pronounced crack-like fold in its center.
Once through Broken Arch, the trail twists quickly through sand, rock and pinyon-juniper pockets to the connector trail for reaching Sand Dune Arch (1.15 miles : 5,145'). Those with time may consider this easy .9 mile roundtrip excursion to a stout arch in a secluded, sandy slot.
Continuing on, the trail bends right and climbs steeply up a rugged slot, leveling off atop slickrock slabs with arguably the trail's best vistas (5,240'). It drops gradually through varied terrain to the Loop's conclusion in the Devils Garden Campground. The trailhead is located just a few steps to your right along the campground access road.
GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84View these GPS points on a Google Map
- N-xxx W-xxx — Tapestry Arch Trailhead #1
- N38 46.526 W109 35.052 — Tapestry Arch Junction #1
- N38 46.511 W109 34.988 — Tapestry Arch Junction #2
- N38 46.632 W109 35.009 — Tapestry Arch
- N38 46.298 W109 34.656 — Broken Arch
- N38 46.172 W109 34.848 — Broken Arch - Sand Dune Arch access trail junction
- N38 46.387 W109 35.162 — Tapestry Arch Trailhead #2
- Tapestry Arch is well lit in the late afternoon, while Broken Arch enjoys good lighting much of the day.
- The roundtrip distance shown here presumes the shorter access spur is taken to Tapestry Arch. The longer spur adds a nominal .2 miles roundtrip.
- For a longer hike, consider visiting Sand Dune Arch via the connector trail. This adds only .9 miles roundtrip, and provides a welcome reprieve from summer heat in its shaded slots.
The Broken Arch Trailhead is located in the Devils Garden Campground, 17.5 miles north of the main park entrance and visitor center. Travel north on the main park road for 17.5 miles and turn right into the Devils Garden Campground. Follow the access road to the trailhead near campsite #39.
Arches National Park
PO Box 907
Moab, Utah 84532-0907
Headquarters Phone: 435.719.2100
Phone: 435.719.2299 (recorded information)
Camping Reservation Line: 877.444.6777