Twin Lakes, Lake Lillian Trailhead, Seattle - Alpine Lakes Wilderness - Snoqualmie Pass - Central Cascades, Washington
Twin Lakes - 7.2 miles
Lake Lillian Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||7.2 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||3,490’ – 4,606’ (5,137’ max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+1,116’ net elevation gain (+2,376’ total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Twin Lakes - 7.2 Miles Round-Trip
The Twin Lakes are located 3.6 miles from Lillian Lake Trailhead in the Alpine Lakes Wilderess. The Lake Lillian Trail climbs through private land on a road and clear-cut trail to a saddle below Mt Margaret, where it drops just over 400' in 1.4 miles to the lakes:
From the parking lot, walk back out to the road and uphill another 100 yards. Turn left where the road forks and head uphill on a wide gravel road for .7 miles and 440' to the official trailhead on the left side of the road, marked with a brown bollard and small green sign (3,930').
The main trail turns directly uphill from the road through mountain ash, huckleberry, Douglas fir and beargrass with emerging views of Mt Rainier to the south.
Just shy of 1.7 miles (4,770’) it passes from this old clear-cut area into a mature hemlock - fir forest at the Alpine Lakes Wilderness boundary. Huckleberries are notably abundant in this area.
A long switchback rises steadily to the Lake Lillian - Lake Margaret Trail split on a saddle below Mt Margaret (2.2 miles : 5,025’). Lake Margaret is 1.2 miles roundtrip from this point, a worthy detour.
The Lake Lillian Trail continues north in a mature forest with partial views through the trees under the summit of Mt Margaret. It drops sharply at 3.0 miles (5,027’) on a 400’ descent to Twin Lakes (3.6 miles : 4,606’), which fill a bowl below the ridge extending north from Mt Margaret.
Lake Lillian is only .9 miles ahead, however the trail is steep in both directions and adds 700' of climbing on the roundtrip.
Interactive GPS Topo MapKey GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84
- N47 21.868 W121 21.504 — 0.0 miles: Lake Lillian Parking Lot - 3,490'
- N47 22.110 W121 21.109 — 0.7 miles: Trailhead splits off of road - 3,930'
- N47 22.231 W121 21.710 — 1.2 miles: Trailheads directly uphill - 4,335'
- N47 22.384 W121 20.463 — 1.7 miles : Pass from clearcut into mature forest - 4,770'
- N47 22.583 W121 20.352 — 2.2 miles: Saddle @ Lake Margaret – Lake Lillian split - 5,025'
- N47 22.945 W121 20.509 — 2.8 miles: Traverse mature forest under Mt. Margaret - 5,125'
- N47 23.200 W121 20.550 — 3.2 miles: Pass small pond continue descent - 4,820'
- N47 23.344 W121 20.383 — 3.6 miles: Twin Lakes - 4,606'
- This trail begins on privately-owned land that's crossed by several logging roads. Carefully note directions for finding the trailhead from the beginning of the on-road portion of this trail.
- Huckleberries are abundant in the forest below the saddle, and blueberries are especially plentiful on the descent to Twin Lakes.
Camping and Backpacking Information
- An overnight Wilderness Permit must be filled out at the TH and carried for the duration of your trip in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Max group size is 12.
- Camp only at established sites around Twin Lakes and Lake Lillian, avoiding fragile vegetation along the lake shores.
- Fires are not permitted above 5000' west of the Cascade Crest.
- Fishing is allowed with a valid WA state fishing license.
- Contact the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife for more information.
Sport | Commercial Licenses: 360.902.2434
Disability Licenses: 360.902.2460
Rules and Regulations
- The land at the parking area is private (Northern Pacific Land Grant) so no pass is required to park here. Note that general signage maybe absent.
- A free day use or overnight Wilderness Permit must be filled out at the TH and carried for the duration of your trip in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
Directions to Trailhead
The Lake Lillian Trailhead is located 4.4 miles from Exit 54 on I-90, just beyond Snoqualmie Pass.
From I-90, take exit 54 (signed 906 W / Hyak) and turn left off the ramp towards Gold Creek. Pass under the freeway and turn right just past the I-90 off-ramp at a dirt road, signed Gold Creek just beyond. Continue on this frontage road along the north side I-90, passing cabins on the left at 2.4 miles and beginning to climb steeply at 2.5 miles.
At 2.9 miles, pass a spur road splitting off left – do not take this road, but rather turn left at the very next split just beyond. Continue up another 1.5 miles to a parking lot with bulletin board on the left. Park here, but note that the trailhead is actually 100 yards further up this road, and left at another split.
This parking lot on private land holds approximately 25 cars, and has no privy.
Okanogan - Wenatchee National Forest | Cle Elum Ranger District
803 West 2nd Street
Cle Elum, WA 989222
Reference Trail #1332